- /noh"fluy"/an area over which no military flights are allowed.
* * *no-fly zone nounAn area in which (esp military) aircraft are not permitted to fly• • •Main Entry: ↑no
* * *an area that a plane must not fly into because it may be attacked by planes belonging to an enemyThesaurus: relating to operating aircrafthyponym
* * *no-fly zone «NOH FLY»,an area where certain kinds of flights are prohibited: »
The United States will again press the U.N. Security Council to enforce a “no-fly zone” over Bosnia (Manchester Guardian Weekly).
* * *n. a designated area over which aircraft may not fly without risk of interception, esp. during a conflict
* * *noun, pl ⋯ zones [count]technical : an area where military airplanes are not allowed to fly during a conflict or war
* * *ˌno-ˈfly zone f54 [no-fly zone no-fly zones] nounan area above a country where planes from other countries are not allowed to fly
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
No-fly zone — This article is about the prevention of flight in a region of airspace by the application or threat of military power. For information on prevention of flight ordinarily enforced by civil regulation or legal means, see Prohibited airspace. A no… … Wikipedia
No-Fly Zone — Following the abortive Kurdish uprising against Saddam Hussein in March 1991 and the horrific Kurdish refugee exodus that ensued, the United States, Great Britain, and France imposed a no fly zone above the 36th parallel in Iraq to allow… … Historical Dictionary of the Kurds
no-fly zone — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms no fly zone : singular no fly zone plural no fly zones an area that a plane must not fly into because it may be attacked by planes belonging to an enemy … English dictionary
no-fly zone — /noˈflaidzon, ingl. nəuˈflaɪzəun/ [loc. ingl., propr. «zona (zone) con divieto (no) di volo (fly)»] loc. sost. f. inv. zona di non sorvolo … Sinonimi e Contrari. Terza edizione
no-fly zone — no fly zones N COUNT A no fly zone is an area of sky where military and other aircraft are not allowed to fly, especially because of a war … English dictionary
no-fly zone — no fly ,zone noun count an area that an airplane must not fly into because it may be attacked by airplanes belonging to an enemy … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
no-fly zone — /noʊ ˈflaɪ zoʊn/ (say noh fluy zohn) noun an area over which all or specified aircraft are forbidden to fly: *The no fly zone around the Statue of Liberty was imposed yesterday and bans flights within one nautical mile of the monument until… … Australian English dictionary
no-fly zone — no fly .zone n an area that only particular aircraft are allowed to enter, and in which other aircraft could be attacked … Dictionary of contemporary English
no-fly zone — no′ fly′ zone n. mil an area over which no military flights are allowed • Etymology: 1991 … From formal English to slang
no-fly zone — noun an airspace in which aircraft, especially military aircraft, are forbidden to fly … Wiktionary